.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Four Color Politics

Mainly the Quotes of the Morning, with occasional Other Crap.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Quotes of the Morning: Just Wait


“I don’t know how closely some of you follow the news, but things are pretty much taking the short route to Hades in a hand basket in the Middle East. A while back a terrorist organization in Lebanon took a few Israeli troops hostage. In response Israel invaded the country and is currently opening a can of Whoop-arse on the Lebanese people… You know, the ones that we were so hopeful about a while back with that whole ‘Cedar Revolution’ thing back when they were voting in their last democratic election.”
-Skippy


“Israel steeply escalated its military campaign against Hizbollah in Lebanon yesterday with a series of air strikes that left more than 35 civilians dead, including a single strike on a convoy of families fleeing the fighting in a village near Tyre in the south of the country that killed more than 20 people, most of them children.
[…]
Israel's campaign has so far killed at least 100 people, all but three of them civilians, and choked off Lebanon's economy, including its growing tourism industry.”
-Observer (UK), July 16, 2006

“Hey, at least there were hostages taken by someone in Lebanon. That means that the Israeli military is at least more justified in their invasion than we were in Iraq. That is the part that truly galls me. Not only was the invasion of Iraq stupid, but it has cost us the moral ‘high ground’ for a while... Sigh. I’m just glad that we can’t make the situation worse.”
-Skippy


“In the midst of last Friday's onslaught, in which Israeli bombers killed dozens of Lebanese civilians, the Pentagon announced the export of $210m of aviation fuel to help Israel ‘keep peace and security in the region.’"
-Guardian (UK), July 17, 2006

“Oh… I guess we can make it worse. I guess that this is how we spread democracy. Soon we’ll spread it to everyone and the rapture.. um.. I mean peace on Earth, will come.”
-Skippy


“George ‘Dubya’ Bush: ‘It's not the first time that Vladimir and I discussed our governing philosophies. I have shared with him my desires for our country, and he shared with me his desires for his. And I talked about my desire to promote institutional change in parts of the world like Iraq where there's a free press and free religion, and I told him that a lot of people in our country would hope that Russia would do the same thing…’
President Putin: ‘We certainly would not want to have the same kind of democracy as they have in Iraq, I will tell you quite honestly.’ (Laughter.)
George ‘Dubya’ Bush: ‘Just wait.’”
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush and Vladimir Putin, Press Conference, July 15, 2006

“The Quotes of the Morning will be going on a brief (2 day) hiatus as I will be traveling for business. We shall return on Friday.”
-Skippy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats