.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Four Color Politics

Mainly the Quotes of the Morning, with occasional Other Crap.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Quotes of the Morning: And I Feel Fine

"This moment of conflict in the Middle East is painful and tragic, yet it is also a moment of opportunity for broader change in the region. Transforming countries that have suffered decades of tyranny and violence is difficult, and it will take time to achieve. But the consequences will be profound for our country and the world."
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush, July 29, 2006

“He is, of course, referring to the ongoing conflict between Israel and Lebanon. Everyone seems to have forgotten about our little vanity war in Iraq (you know, in the Middle East).
Apparently a war between Israel and its neighbor is a moment of opportunity for broader change. Now someone is just going to explain to me how a ‘broader change’ is possible without more shake-ups in the power structure of the Middle East. Is he advocating that the war spread, or just hoping that this will somehow scare the other countries of the region into democratic reform? I’m voting on the second one, but I also know that democracy at gunpoint certainly hasn’t worked out too well for us recently.”
-Skippy


“Haass, the former Bush aide who leads the Council on Foreign Relations, laughed at the president's public optimism. ‘An opportunity?’ Haass said with an incredulous tone. ‘Lord, spare me. I don't laugh a lot. That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. If this is an opportunity, what's Iraq? A once-in-a-lifetime chance?’"
-Washington Post, July 31, 2006

“And when the times are the toughest you sometimes just have to ask yourself, is this the end of the world?”
-Skippy


Q: Do you believe this, that the war in Iraq and the rise of terrorism are signs of the apocalypse? And if not, why not?

DUBYA: Hmmm, uhh, hah -- ummm -- I, the answer is -- I haven't really thought of it that way, heh, heh. Heh. Here's how I think of it. Ummm -- heh heh. First I've heard of that, by the way, I, ah -- uhh -- the, uhh -- I, I guess I'm more of a practical fella. Uhh. I vowed after September the 11th that I would do everything I could to protect the American people. And, uhh -- my attitude, of course, was affected by the attacks. I knew we were at a war. I knew that the enemy, obviously, had to be sophisticated, and lethal, to fly hijacked airplanes, uhh, into -- facilities that would, we would, killing thousands of people, innocent people, doin' nothing, just sittin' there goin' to work.
-Question and answer with George ‘Dubya’ Bush, March 20, 2006

“The Quotes will be going on a one-day hiatus (I think). Sudden business travel. Back on Wednesday unless good things happen.”
-Skippy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats