.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Four Color Politics

Mainly the Quotes of the Morning, with occasional Other Crap.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Quotes of the Morning: All They Want to Do Is Have Some Fun

“Some people think that Alberto Gonzales’ testimony last week was, well, not so good..”
-Skippy


"To me, there has to be consequences to accepting responsibility. And I would just say, Mr. Attorney General, it's my considered opinion that the exact same standards should be applied to you in how this was handled. And it was handled incompetently. The communication was atrocious. It was inconsistent. It's generous to say that there were misstatements. That's a generous statement. And I believe you ought to suffer the consequences that these others have suffered. And I believe that the best way to put this behind us is your resignation."
-Sen. Tom Coburn, April 20, 2007

“But Fearless Leader has been all over the recent testimony and sees nothing wrong..”
-Skippy

“Q Was the President disappointed in the testimony?
MS. PERINO: Is the President? No.
Q But what about the fact that even Republicans now are coming out and calling for the Attorney General to resign?
MS. PERINO: There is no doubt that there were many members from both sides of the aisle who had expressed frustration over the confusing remarks from the initial responses on this matter. And that frustration had built up over many weeks. The President believes that the Attorney General answered all of their questions honestly and forthrightly. I can understand there are some people who still don't want to support the Attorney General; that is their right.
[…]
And I could go on and on, but I think that following the hearing and following the tension that was in the room, I think on this new day I think -- hopefully people will be able to take a step back, realize that there was no credible evidence of wrongdoing, that the Attorney General has apologized for how it was handled, and that he has a job to do, and he's been doing it very well. And the President has full confidence in him.”
-Press Gaggle with White House Spokesperson Dana Perino, April 20, 2007

“Q But did the President actually see the testimony?
MS. PERINO: He got regular updates from us while we were on the road -- we were on the road that day, on the way to Ohio.
Q So how can he say he has increased confidence if he got updates from other people? So he didn't actually see the testimony, himself, because --
MS. PERINO: He got updates from us, and I think he saw some news coverage of it later that day.
Q But as Jim noted, I mean, Arlen Specter yesterday said that it was ‘very, very damaging to his own credibility.’ So what did the President see -- well, he didn't see the testimony, but what did he hear that he --
MS. PERINO: What the President knows is that the Attorney General answered honestly, truthfully and was as responsive to Congress as he could possibly be during hours of testimony and in turning over all the documents, and then making people that work for him available to the Congress in order to answer their questions.”
-Press Gaggle with White House Spokesperson Dana Perino, April 23, 2007

“Ok, so he didn’t actually watch any of it. Still, he just KNOWS that Alberto did nothing wrong. Just like the whole Plame thing and Karl Rove.”
-Skippy

“Q All right. Let me just follow up. You said this morning, ‘The President knows’ that Karl Rove wasn't involved. How does he know that?
MR. McCLELLAN: Well, I've made it very clear that it was a ridiculous suggestion in the first place. I saw some comments this morning from the person who made that suggestion, backing away from that. And I said it is simply not true. So, I mean, it's public knowledge. I've said that it's not true. And I have spoken with Karl Rove --
Q But how does --
MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not going to get into conversations that the President has with advisors or staff or anything of that nature; that's not my practice.
Q But the President has a factual basis for knowing that Karl Rove --
MR. McCLELLAN: I said it publicly. I said that --
Q But I'm not asking what you said, I'm asking if the President has a factual basis for saying -- for your statement that he knows Karl Rove --
MR. McCLELLAN: He's aware of what I've said, that there is simply no truth to that suggestion. And I have spoken with Karl about it.
-Press Gaggle with White House Spokesperson Scott McClellan, September 29, 2003

“Of course it turns out that Karl was involved, but he wasn’t indicted, and that is good enough to keep your job in this Administration. Rove is having a rough time. He seems to be getting beaten up right and left.”
-Skippy

“Global warming was the talking point last night at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner when singer Sheryl Crow and ‘Inconvenient Truth’ producer Laurie David walked over to Table 92 at the Hilton Washington to chat with Karl Rove -- and the resulting exchange was suitably heated.
‘I am floored by what I just experienced with Karl Rove,’ David reports. ‘I went over to him and said, 'I urge you to take a new look at global warming.' He went zero to 100 with me… I've never had anyone be so rude.’
Rove's version: ‘She came over to insult me and she succeeded.’
Things got so hot that Crow stepped in to defuse the situation and then got into it with Rove herself. ‘You work for me,’ she told the presidential adviser, according to singed bystanders. ‘No,’ was his response. ‘I work for the American people.’
News of the dust-up filtered quickly through the room. Some witnesses said David was very aggressive with Rove; a shaken Crow later said that Rove was ‘combative and unresponsive.’"
-Washington Post, April 22, 2007

“Aw.. Rove is getting a little testy. Probably didn’t get his nap.”
-SKippy

“Q Dana, can I ask you, there's been a lot of chatter over the last couple days about this confrontation that Karl Rove allegedly had with a couple of celebrities about global warming, climate change. What was Karl Rove's reaction to being confronted at the dinner in this way?
MS. PERINO: I think Karl Rove just wanted to have some fun on Saturday night. And I think he wasn't the only one. “
-Press Gaggle with White House Spokesperson Dana Perino, April 23, 2007

“Sing it Dana!”
-Skippy

“All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die,

Says the man next to me out of nowhere
Its apropos
Of nothing
He says his names William but Im sure,
He’s Bill or Billy or Mac or Buddy
And he’s plain ugly to me
And I wonder if he’s ever had a day of fun in his whole life
We are drinking beer at noon on Tuesday
In a bar that faces a giant car wash
They drive their shiny Datsuns and Buicks

Back to the phone company, the record store too
Well, they’re nothing like Billy and me, cause

All I wanna do is have some fun
I got a feeling I’m not the only one
All I wanna do is have some fun
I got a feeling I’m not the only one
All I wanna do is have some fun
Until the sun comes up over Santa Monica boulevard..”
-Sheryl Crow, “All I Wanna Do”

“Thanks to First Draft for several of today’s Quotes.”
-Skippy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats