.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Four Color Politics

Mainly the Quotes of the Morning, with occasional Other Crap.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Quotes of the Morning: We're on a Mission from God

“President Bush said yesterday that he senses a ‘Third Awakening’ of religious devotion in the United States that has coincided with the nation's struggle with international terrorists, a war that he depicted as ‘a confrontation between good and evil.’
Bush told a group of conservative journalists that he notices more open expressions of faith among people he meets during his travels, and he suggested that might signal a broader revival similar to other religious movements in history. Bush noted that some of Abraham Lincoln's strongest supporters were religious people ‘who saw life in terms of good and evil’ and who believed that slavery was evil. Many of his own supporters, he said, see the current conflict in similar terms.
‘A lot of people in America see this as a confrontation between good and evil, including me,’ Bush said during a 1 1/2 -hour Oval Office conversation on cultural changes and a battle with terrorists that he sees lasting decades. ‘There was a stark change between the culture of the '50s and the '60s -- boom -- and I think there's change happening here,’ he added. ‘It seems to me that there's a Third Awakening.’"
-Washington Post, September 13, 2006

“We’re on a mission from God.”
-Elwood Blues, The Blues Brothers

“Of course Fearless Leader meeting people with open expressions of faith might have something to do with him not allowing anyone except those that agree with him to get close to him, but still..
You see, as most diplomats know, saying that you are ‘good’ and calling your opponents ‘evil’, as in ‘evil empire’ or ‘axis of evil’ is not exactly the best way to reach a happy resolution. By calling someone ‘evil’ you remove their humanity, and thus are left with few options except elimination. This is a tactic used in the Middle East for millennia, by both Muslims and Jews, to stoke the fires of religious and racial hatred (and quite effectively in the 1930s in Germany to stoke hatred against the Jewish people). You can see how well it worked. It was also tried by the Europeans back in the medieval times in a little something that we like to call the ‘crusades’.”
-Skippy


“This is a new kind of, a new kind of evil... And the American people are beginning to understand. This crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take a while. And American people must be patient.”
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush, September 16, 2001

“You see, using the word ‘crusade’ tends to make Arab nations a little nervous. The last time it was used it didn’t work out so well for anyone involved. Fearless Leader stopped using that one pretty quickly. Instead he made sure to point out that by overthrowing the Iraqi and Afghani governments he was just doing God’s will.”
-Skippy


“If we remain strong and focused and tough when we need to, if we continue to speak clearly about right from wrong and defend the values -- which are not American values, but God-given values -- we can achieve peace. We can achieve peace in the world, we can achieve peace for our citizens.”
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush, October 5, 2002

“We can achieve peace -- we can achieve peace -- by being strong and diligent, reminding people of the great, God-given values that are important to all humanity.”
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush, August 23, 2002

“Still, it isn’t like he’s claiming that God talks to him directly, right? Because that would be crazy…”
-Skippy

“I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job.”
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush, July 9, 2004

“Wow… He doesn’t think that God talks to him. He thinks that he speaks for God. I think that that scares me a little bit more…”
-Skippy


“REPORTER: Could you understand -- your political action is inspired by God, you say a number of times --

DUBYA: I said what?
REPORTER: Is inspired by God, I mean, your --
DUBYA: My political action? I've never said that.
REPORTER: You've never said that? I mean, I'm not quoting you.
DUBYA: No, I've never said that.
REPORTER: I said, in general, you relate to God as a --
DUBYA: You said, my political action is caused by God, I think.
REPORTER: No, no, no, no, I said your political action is inspired by God.
DUBYA: No, my political action is -- my life is inspired by God.”
-Interview with George ‘Dubya’ Bush, June 4, 2004

“Yes, and thus the death of 40,000 Iraqi civilians, the torture of prisoners and the widespread devastation of Iraq was just divine retribution for their nation’s sinful ways. A real Sodom and Gomorrah kind of thing. And Fearless Leader is simply the Angel of Death. I know that I’ll sleep easier knowing that it was just God acting through his vessel George ‘Dubya’ Bush.”
-Skippy


“I'm also mindful that man should never try to put words in God's mouth. I mean, we should never ascribe natural disasters or anything else to God. We are in no way, shape, or form should a human being, play God.”
-George ‘Dubya’ Bush, January 14, 2005

“Oops. Sorry. I’ll try to go back to thinking that Dubya is just a doofus with his finger on the button and a vanity war that has killed tens of thousands.”
-Skippy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats